Under Republic Act No. 11337 or the Innovative Startup Act, the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) has been identified as one of the key government agencies tasked to support research and development (R&D) activities of Filipino-owned startups and promote the startup ecosystem within the country. RA 11337 also authorizes the establishment of a Startup Grant Fund (SGF) under DOST which will be used to fund R&D activities of eligible startups that are aimed at improving their core technology, enhancing the product’s market potential, and refining their existing products, processes, or services.
The Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD), one of the sectoral planning councils of DOST, greatly recognizes the importance of R&D in addressing the health issues of the country. In support to the operationalization of RA 11337, PCHRD created a Startup Research Grant Program under DOST SGF that aims to support research activities of startups in the health sector.
Objectives of the Program:
The PCHRD Startup Research Grant Program will provide financial support to qualified startups to conduct research activities aimed at:
- Overcoming R&D roadblocks;
- Strengthening intellectual property (IP);
- Establishing initial market traction;
- Refining business model; and/or
- Scaling up production.
Benefits to Startups:
Recipients of research grants under this program are entitled to receive the following benefits:
- Access to the DOST/Council’s GIA Program
- Access to follow-up financial assistance for scale-up and expansion offered by other DOST offices and agencies
- Access to the science and technology network of the DOST and the Philippine National Health Research System
- Access to DOST Testing Laboratories and Research Facilities
- Access to the DOST Technology Business Incubator (TBI) Network
- Published: 12 July 2021